Wednesday, April 29, 2009

New Strategy and a HTF

I am horrible at updating blogs. Awful. I just forget and then 1 day turns into months and then I sound like a total asshole with my "so sorry I've been remiss" post. So, to remedy this, I figure I'd start a new strategy. I'm starting with reviewing my NOTDs and giving detailed comments. Usually, I do this on the MUA review pages, and I'll continue to do so, but sometimes, especially with a non-OPI polish, the polish in question just isn't in the product listing. Thus, I'm doing my reviews here.

However, they probably won't be NOTDay. More like NOTEveryOtherDay. As I mentioned earlier, I took my acrylics off in early March. They still are only half-nails and generally look like shite, so I'm now using glue-ons. At least until my natural nails are polish-worthy and probably after that. I have some major ridging on my natural nails and I have yet to find a quick-drying, non-glumpy ridge filler. As much as I'd like to change my polish everyday, it's just not feasible considering the glue-ons get weak after a polish change, even w/ non acetone polish remover and I totally have the change my tips.

Also, there may or may not be pictures. My camera charger is MIA and now that I'm thinking about it, my camera is MIA. Hm. All I have is my camera phone, and while I'll use it, depending on the quality of the pics, I may not post them.

Now that all that crap is out of the way, on to the good stuff... the HTF polish. I'd been lemming OPI Double Decker Red for a year. I'd tried to buy it on numerous occasions only to have either the site or the eBay seller tell me "sorry sucker, out of stock". I'd given up on ever owning it. Which was a shame because the more I would read about how it was the perfect, HG red, the more I wanted to own it and hold it and call it my precious. Can you imagine? Over a red creme? Please. But that's what happened.

So color me surprised when I found it on TransDesign. By that time, however, I already had so many red creme OPIs, that it took me 3 TD orders before I finally stuck it in my cart and pressed send. Then I waited 2 days with bated breath (thank God, I'm in TN. LOL). As I took the haul out of the box, I'd almost forgotten that I even ordered it. But there it was... along with some money-wasting Sations, Essie Marshmallow, ChG Sneakerhead, OPI Pompeii Purple and Black Cherry Chutney. Being that it was old formula OPI, I waited a few days to apply it until I had more than an hour for my nails to dry. And.......

Well kids, I'm kind of underwhelmed. Sob. It's a red creme and it's pretty, but it's no Vodka & Caviar (my HG red creme). Most of the reviews I'd read stated that it was a true red, but this that I got was decidedly a blue-based red. It's almost like a lighter Got the Blues for Red.
However, while GtBfR has the sexy,vampy thing going for it, DDR is just kind of "there", though a pretty "there". Last night, I put on 2 coats and it's still kind of sheer in places, so I'm probably going to do a third one tonight.

To be honest, I hated it last night. The application was difficult and the formula was that odd runny/thick/thin thing OPIs can have, of course, it was old formula/old brush. Today, however, it's grown on me. It kind of reminds me of '40s glam. Think spectator pumps, pencil skirts, and hose with lines. It's a nice, wearable red, which because it's blue-based works well with my fair/pink skin. Unlike another red creme in my collection, Thrill of Brazil, it doesn't slap you in the face with it's redness. Once I got over the shock of no choir of angels accompanying my application, I liked it. I'll definitely wear it in the future, especially this summer as I think it's more of a summer red than a fall/winter red (which is weird because it was released for Fall/Winter 2003). If you can find it, you may want to consider picking it up, but it's nothing super special. More than anything, I was just finally happy to be able to squash my lemming (poor little lemming).

Here's a poor picture with my camera phone. Hopefully, I'll be able to take real pics soon.

OPI Double Decker Red

As an aside, if you are trying to find HTF polishes, you may want to check out TD (http://www.transdesign.com/). I've gotten several OPIs, as well as an Essie or two, from them have been discontinued shades. Along w/ Double Decker Red, I've gotten Man of La Mancha, Hey! Get in Lime, Van-Couvered in the Snow, and Essie St. Barth's Blue. Now, granted, they aren't in the same league as OPI La Boheme or Essie Starry, Starry Night (which I would kill for), but it is nice to find something that you know won't be around forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment