Monday, May 24, 2010

Lost

Okay, this is going to be waaaay off-topic, but I've been searching for a place to type out my Lost-thoughts that wouldn't restrict me to 140 characters, and then I remembered I had a blog.  So I figured I'd type it all out here.  If you watch the show but haven't seen the finale, or plan on watching it in one fell swoop when the final season is released on DVD, please don't read on (I'll put in some dead space, so you don't immediately see spoilers).  Also, please feel free to ignore this post.  I just need to type something out, or I'll bust.  LOL.





Okay... one of my favorite movies ever was Signs.  I love the fact that it's a movie about aliens, it was billed as a sci-fi movie and yet in the end, it was ultimately a character story about one man's redemption.  However, I feel Lost is the same kind of story and in this format, I don't really like it.  I mean, I can appreciate it for being pure genius, but it almost feels like Darlton made it too big to ultimately be about Jack's redemption, death, and afterlife.  Signs was a 2 hour movie.  Lost was a 6 year series.  With a lot more twists and turns and unanswered questions.  I think in the end, I felt like the first 5 seasons were one show and this one was something that belonged on PAX.  Also, the sideways world seemed to rip off another M. Night Shyamalan movie, The Sixth Sense, in the "they don't know they are dead" regard, and then each of the characters had their big "a-ha" moment and they got goofy smiles and became resigned with their fates.  I guess in the end, I get it.  I think it was genius.  But, I don't really like it.  I wanted more resolution with the other characters (like what happens with Hurley being the new Jacob and Ben being the new Richard and what happens with those that got on the Ajira plane and headed home), than it simply being about Jack closing his eye in the end (though that was a good ending).  Though I guess Darlton's point was in the end, none of that matters, it was just about being with your "constant" in the hereafter.  They did always say it was a love story.

However, as much I'm bitching... I also did enjoy the finale.  I sobbed like a baby at several points.  The main one being where Jack "freed" John Locke.  Locke was always one of my favorite characters.  I loved that his crappy real life was redeemed by the island.  I loved that on the island, Locke had a purpose, and then you find out that all that purpose was just manipulated by the MIB.  So, when Locke had his epiphany and he was essentially redeemed, I cried.  I cried hard.  I just wish in the church, he had Helen by his side.

I loved that Hurley became the new Jacob and Ben was the new Richard.  I loved that Hurley gave Ben a purpose, something he'd always wanted, and killed (literally) to have.  I think in that moment Ben Linus was redeemed, though I wish he'd been allowed to be in the church (and I'm talking to Darlton here, the characters themselves asked Ben to come in).  I mean, no one in that church was innocent.  Most of them had, in one way or another, killed or caused another person's death on the island (and off island in the case of Sayid, Sawyer, and Kate).

Okay, I think I'm done now.  There's more floating around my brain, but I will leave it at that for now.  If you watched the show and want to share your thoughts, please feel free to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment