Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Embracing My Shorties...

This is a post that I've been meaning to write for a month or so, but everytime I would start typing it out, I would end up abandoning it.  The main reason is I don't want to offend anyone.  If you have long, beautiful nails, then more power to you... you rock those puppies like nobody's bidnez.  However, this post is geared towards those of us in the nail blogger/reader community that aren't blessed with the genes to produce gorgeous talons.  It seems like we are few and far between, but I am a card-carrying member of this little group.  Though, deep down, I always preferred longer nails, and I always apologized for my short nails.

In fact, one of the reasons I got acrylics in the first place (both times) was because I wanted long nails.  In 2001, it was because of my wedding and then in 2008, it was because I had a wild hair.  Around that time, I had rediscovered nail polish, only to be frustrated with the application on short nails.  There's a learning curve to polishing shorties, one I had yet to master.  Thus, I ended back on the acrylic pony, which lead to disastrous results. 

Once I got my natural nails back, earlier this year, I thought that I would be able to grow longer nails because I had since learned so much about nail care.  Unfortunately, that was not the case.  I have used Dermelect Launchpad and Makeover Ridgefiller and Jessica Critical Care religiously, though at different times, and while in both instances, my nails felt harder, had less peelies, and grew faster, I still didn't have inch-long, rock-hard, indestructible nails that I'd always dreamed about.  I think hoping for that was pretty pie-in-the-sky anyway, but I am an eternal optimist.  You always hear about someone who chewed her nails to nubs, only to combat her demons, discovered polish, and end up with glorious nails. I wished I could have been that girl.  Sadly, I just don't think that's in my genetic code.  LOL. 

About 2 months ago, after a massive, and depressing clip-down, I polished my nails in OPI MPJ holo and I realized that my shorties were cute, and that I liked them very much.  And while coming to that realization was rather bittersweet and I took a long while in getting to that point, it was also a momentous occasion.  No longer do I have to worry about all the challenges of trying to grow long nails.  I can keep my nails short, trimmed, and well-groomed, and not have to deal with my index fingers growing slanted, or my ring finger growing downward, or all the other issues that plague me.  I think a lot of these are because of acrylic damage and they may rectify themselves in the distant future, but I think for now I'm quite happy with my shorties. 

Plus, there are upsides to me having short nails.  1. I can type without having to click the keys with my nails.  2. no risk of poking myself in the eye or accidentally stabbing my kids (yes, I have done both). 3. (probably the best) is no risk of tranny hands.  Due to the shape and size of my hands, they look a little man-ish and long nails only accentuated it.  4. dark colors always look great on shorties.  Now, I'm a big fan of wearing whatever you want, when you want, but I know sometimes, for me, darker colors, just looked like crappola on long nails (I never liked OPI RN until I put it on my shorties).  And lastly, I can be more carefree with my nails.  Growing out my nails is always a stressful experience because I keep waiting for one to break so I have to clip them down.  With them always clipped down... I've circumvented the problem.  LOL. 

So, if you have shorties, like me... rock 'em like they are an inch and a half long.  Konad 'em, nail art 'em, and polish 'em in whatever digs your well, but don't ever be ashamed of your shorties.  Yes, long nails are beautiful, but clean, well-groomed, perfectly polished short nails are gorgeous, too.  Polish loves everyone.  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment