Monday, January 3, 2011

Resolutions and stuff

Hi everyone.  Sorry to flake out on you for a few days.  I was a bit under-the-weather right after the New Year started, and this is my first chance on actually taking a few minutes to post. 

As I mentioned in my "Happy New Year Post", this is the first year that I've actually made myself a few resolutions.  Normally, I think they are just a surefire way to fail, but I've got some things in my life that have to change and by making resolutions out of them, I'm hoping that will help me stick to them. 

I wasn't going to share them, but I find there's no better way to keep me honest other than sharing the details.  Anyway, here are my resolutions for 2011...

1. Lose weight.  And not just a few lbs.  I have to lose a significant amount of weight.  I'm not proud of it, but it is what it is.  So I rejoined Weight Watchers on 12/31/10 with a goal of starting on 1/1/2011 in mind.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to record my food yet, due to being under-the-weather, but I have been sticking to the plan.  And I fully realize it's just water weight and not real weight, but as of this morning, I've lost 6 lbs.  :D

2. Teach myself to love exercise even more than I love food.  I'm an emotional eater, so when things don't go my way, I tend to compensate with food.  I really want this to change, I want exercise to be my emotional crutch, rather than cheeseburgers. :P I know this isn't easy, but in the past when I've gotten into an exercise routine, I really enjoy it, and look forward to it, so here's hoping I can do it again.

3. Try not to worry so much about Blake's problems.  Yes, I'm his mommy, and it's my job to worry, but figuring out what's wrong with him has kind of consumed me.  Blake's medical problems coupled with just being a SAHM in general have kind of reduced me to a husk of a person.  I blog.  That's my only outlet.  And I mainly do that when the kids are asleep or in school.  So finding time for me is imperative this year.

4. This kind of goes hand-in-hand with #3, but I have to pick up some of my old hobbies.  I used to love to cross-stitch.  I also used to draw and paint and read, and I just don't do anything anymore.  And I need to.  Finding time to do the things I love is going to be essential in remembering who I used to be. 

5. Become better at sticking to the budget.  On top of being an emotional eater, I'm also an emotional online shopper.  My spending has curbed quite a bit over the past year, but as we bought new furniture, I really have to stick the the budget and get our finances in a better place. 

6. Be nicer to my husband.  He really is a wonderful person.  And I just don't give him all the credit he deserves.  Because of Blake, we've really been stretched really thin this year emotionally and mentally.  Hence, we tend to pick at each other far more than we should.  I need to realize that not everything is a crisis. 

So, six things.  Some of them major.  Some of them not-so-major.  Am I setting myself up for failure?  I really hope not.  As cliche as it sounds, one of my favorite phrases is "nothing to it, but to do it".  I'm really hoping to apply that to myself this year.  I have the will to change... which IMO, is the hardest part.  So now I just have to put mind over matter and do it. 

Wish me luck.  :)

What about you?  Did you make any resolutions for 2011?

No comments:

Post a Comment