Sunday, September 13, 2009

Previous NOTD: OPI Red Like Roses w/ ChG Poetic

This was my KOTD about 3-4 days ago, so I apologize for not showing it to you sooner. :)
Anyway, as last week was HTF week on the MUA NB, I figured I'd use one of my (few) HTFs. Red Like Roses is from OPI's 2007 Valentine's Day collection. You can find it on eBay sometimes in the $10-12 range, though there are 3-4 sellers charging $22-25 for it. However, I got mine at TD for $4.99. As I am writing this, they still have them. RLR is a pretty metallic red with a gold tinge. The closest thing I have in my collection is OPI An Affair in Red Square, but AAIRS isn't nearly as glowy as RLR, and the gold in AAIRS is much more pronounced.

I went w/ ChG Poetic for the konad design and I used plate m64. I've used this plate 2-3 times since I got it, which was just like a week and a half ago. I love it that much. I think the golden metallic Poetic plays very nice with the golden highlight in RLR. Here's a pic:



I wore this for 2 days and then I got Orly Matte Top in my my VNS order, so I figured I'd use it to freshen up my mani.



I'd been interested in trying Essie Matte About You, but I didn't want to go to eBay or pay retail at VNS, so I opted to try Orly's Matte Top instead. Have you heard anything about Matte Top? Me neither. I'd heard about Nubar's matte top coat and Essie MAY is all the rage on the NB, but it seems Matte Top had fallen through the cracks. Now, I don't have any other matte TC to compare, but I'm in love with Matte Top. While it's called Matte Top, the finish it creates is more similar to a satin finish, but I think in that regard, it's much more user friendly. I have a couple OPI mattes and I don't really like the finish on them. It's so chalky. I think when I try my mattes in the future, I'm going to add a coat of MT. I think I will much prefer the satin finish to the "totally devoid of light" finish of a true matte polish.

If you are interested in trying a matte top coat, definitely give Orly Matte Top a try. It's cheaper than Essie MAY as VNS had it for $4.50 and the satin finish it creates would be fantastic over just about any type of polish, konad, or nail art.

No comments:

Post a Comment