Saturday, April 21, 2012

30 Days of Blues for Autism Awareness - Nubar 2010 over Barielle Berry Blue

Today is Day 21 in my "30 Days of Blues" for Autism Awareness.  Today's manicure is inspired by my complete obsession with Deborah Lippmann Ray of Light.  Seriously.  I stare at every swatch I can find and have my cart loaded on Lippmann's website.

Unfortunately, I've heard not-so-good things about the formula, and I just can't swing $16 right now for a polish with iffy formula.  So, this is my attempt at a reasonable facsimile...



This is 2 coats of Nubar 2010 (a mylar flakie topcoat similar to Sally Hansen Hidden Treasure et al) over 2 coats of Barielle Berry Blue (a deep blue jelly-ish creme).  

I think this would have looked much better if I'd been able to use a true, deep blue jelly, rather than just a polish with a jelly-ish finish.  I tried to layer Berry Blue with 2010 and Berry Blue just covered up the flakies.  There was no "jelly sandwich" effect with this.  So, I opted just to use 2 coats of 2010 over the basecolor.  If I had to do it over again, I would probably go lighter with the flakies so it looks closer to the Lippmann.

I think this looks similar to Deborah Lippmann Ray of Light, but it's by no means a dupe, and at some point, I will probably end up purchasing Ray of Light and then complaining about the thick formula.  If you have a deep blue true jelly, I think you would be much more successful creating a dupe to Ray of Light.

Berry Blue and 2010 are both readily available, and both retail in the $8 range.

No comments:

Post a Comment