Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Face of Autism

During my month of blues for Autism Awareness, I had plans to take short breaks from the polish and share a little bit about us and our journey with autism, and I have just been so busy, I haven't had the chance.  Well, I'm taking it now.

This is Blake...




He is 6 years old.  He was officially diagnosed with autism last year.  He and his twin sister are my most favorite people.  He loves to play on computers and his Nintendo 3DS and basically anything that makes boops and bips.  

He has a dog.  His name is Sam.  Well, we have 2 dogs, but he and Sam are BFFs.   He loves his sister, but she drives him nuts.  He loves to cut his hair (see his handiwork?).  He says "take a nap" when he's had too much interaction.  He doesn't want a nap.  He just wants you to quit bugging him.  

He is scared to death of Spongebob Squarepants, but he loves Dora and will laugh uncontrollably at Wow, Wow, Wubbzy.  His favorite TV channel, outside of NickJr, is The Cooking Channel and his favorite chef is Julia Child.  

He had some hard times at school, but now he has found an amazing place.  His favorite friend at school is Zach.  He can READ.  Not just "moon", "dog", and "cat".  He can really read.  Better than his 8 year old cousin.  It's amazing.


He has come so far in such a short period of time.  He is now conversing with us, and we are actually seeing more of Blake every single day.  He is an amazing little boy, who has challenged me in every possible way.  I am better person because of him.  He has changed my definition of normal.  He has taught me what "true love" means.  Things can still be hard and everyday has a new challenge, but I no longer see autism as a bad word.  I just see Blake.  

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment